
In the morning I continued on south to Ilgaz. Just as the day before, the landscape was very nice, green with lots of flowers. From Ilgaz I drove towards Corum. Without warning the end of a traffic jam came into view. I stopped and looked around but I couldn’t see where it started. On the opposite lane there was not a single car coming so I decided to continue on driving there. It wasn’t a very busy road, but cars and trucks were standing all over the place, people picnicking in the shadow of trees. They must have been waiting for many hours already. After kilometers I reached the front. There was an accident blocking almost the entire road and I stopped. When a police man saw me on my motorcycle he indicated to me that I could pass slowly. On the other side it was the same story, people on the street, cars and trucks spread out everywhere on both lanes, not able to go forth nor back, blocking everything. Once again I was very happy that I was traveling with a motorcycle, I was able to slip by and save myself many hours of frustrated waiting in the hot sun.
Driving along rice fields I saw a waterfall marking on my map just a little outside Corum. I decided to go take a look. What a disappointment when I got there, it was just a restaurant with a little stream. It was far off the main street and I don’t think many foreign tourists have set foot there, so I figured from the reaction of the waiters. It was lunch time anyway so I ordered something. It wasn’t easy communicating because no one spoke English. With signs I managed to let him know that I wanted something small. He understood me and brought me a basket of bread with a bowl of a very tasty mix of tomato’s and other things to put on it.
After my break I drove back to the main road and continued to a small town called Bogozkale. After returning from Yazilikaya ruins I changed the spark plug of the motorcycle, ate and went to bed. I stayed in a
Hotel Baykal.
<< Home