Instantly I noticed the change in people. There were obviously few tourists passing trough here. Hundreds of children were just returning from school and when they saw me they started cheering and waving at me, it felt as if I was a king riding through the streets. That was certainly a very warm welcome to Albania.
It was a very poor and rural area, many people driving wagons pulled by donkeys. That changed considerably when I came closer to Durres, a domestic tourist destination, where I spent the night. The donkey wagons were replaces by cars, Mercedes to be exact. I think about 7 out of 10 cars were Mercedes, from the oldest model to the latest and greatest, everything was present, that was something I didn’t expect to see. In the hotels almost nobody spoke English or German but somehow I managed to get a room. There are tons of hotels and the beach is big, but for this time around, it was almost empty. In the night I switched on the television more out of curiosity. I was really surprised when I saw an Argentine TV novel being broadcasted with Albanian subtitles. I never saw anything from Latin America on Swiss TV, so it felt really wired to see it here in this country.


<< Home