Saturday, July 21, 2007

A little worried about the distance to Venecia I decided to make an exception and take the Autostrada today. Of course I was pretty much the slowest one; I don’t know if I was even allowed to use it with just 125ccm. But fortunately my Kymco looks like a bigger one and so nobody would notice, except maybe for the fact that I was going only 90 km/h.
I drove to the Camping Village dei Fiori, which in preseason is really an excellent deal. There were still few campers around and it was very quiet. The sites are of the best, with shady trees. There is a huge whirlpool which is exactly the right thing after a day on the motorcycle. They even have a small gym and tennis courts if you feel like it. In the little store I was able to buy an inflatable pillow. It slept a whole lot better thereafter. I was very happy there and it’s also a good home base for trips to Venecia where I went the next day. In the reception I was able to buy a combo ticket for bus and ferry to Venice.
Affected by the fame of that city my expectations where pretty high. The bigger was my disappointment when I got there. I didn’t find it an extraordinary city that deserves that much fame. Ok, you have waterways where other cities have streets; that’s certainly unique. A plus is that there are no cars and therefore no noise and pollution, but instead you have this immense mass of tourists which is about equally annoying. Sometimes it was hard to walk because there were so many tourist groups blocking the way. If you wanted to visit a church or museum you had to stand in line for hours. That was nothing for me and I was happy when I was back in the camping. In fact I liked it so much that I decided to stay another day relaxing.