Tuesday, July 17, 2007

After working a good 4 months in Switzerland I headed out to get to know a little bit of Eastern Europe. At the end of my 2 year bittrail in South America I got a little bit tired of traveling in public busses, that’s why I decided to try something different this time. I went for a motorcycle. I bought a Kymco Hypster, a 125ccm Cruiser that seemed comfortable enough for a larger tour and provided enough space on the back for my travel bag. I had to do some carpenter work to get a good base to hold my bag, but then I was ready.
I started riding toward the Alps in beautiful weather, though a bit cold. I took a break at midday to eat my sandwiches. As I tried to put everything back into my bag it happened. On the first day after only 2 hours my motorcycle fell. The path where I placed it was a little inclined and as I packed, it started to roll and then fell. I couldn’t believe it; I thought I had to turn back before it even started. I was happy I didn’t buy a heavier motorcycle, after taking off my bag I was able to lift it upright again. Fortunately the only damage was a badly bent clutch lever. I decided to live with the bent clutch lever and packed my things on again. After 8 hours (I didn’t use the Autobahn) I arrived in Tenero.