Sunday, July 22, 2007

In the morning I started driving toward the national park Plitvicka Jezera. I don’t travel with a guide book, so this place was recommended to me by people I met on the last camping. I decided to use the autobahn again. Unfortunately I missed the exit and was then imprisoned for the next 50km. Still I reached the park around midday. Having had such a pleasant experience with my last apartment I decided to try it again. There where countless offerings of rooms. Croatia is really a motorcyclist dream, not only for the nice roads along the coast but also because there are so many people offering rooms in their homes, targeting especially car, motorcycle and bike tourist. They are usually pretty nice with private bathroom and cost only little more then a camping. So I stayed in the house Marija Bicanica a few kilometers away from the park. It was 2 o’clock in the afternoon and I had to decide if I go on to visit the park today or if it was better to wait for tomorrow when I could use the entire day. I wanted to have an entire day but on the other hand I didn’t know what to do with this afternoon so I decided to go anyway.
The park is beautiful, many lakes and waterfalls, all with very nice colors. It kind of reminded me of Iguazu in South America. Here you don’t have this sheer amount of water but you have these idyllic scenes. Fortunately the park is open till late in the evening, so I was able to spend a good 4 hours walking the park. Better would have been a whole day, but it was just enough time to get an idea of every part of the park. Towards the end there was another thunderstorm coming up but luckily it went another way. I was one of the last people to leave the park at 7 o’clock in the evening.