
Then, December 31, I already got a better bike the evening before, I headed for the buss terminal since I wanted to go to San Martin by bus and then ride back with the bike for 3 days. But what a disappointment when they told me that I could not take a bike onto the bus. I would have had to take it apart and wrap it up. So I thought I just start here and once I get to San Martin I would find a way to get back to Bariloche. So I headed out of Bariloche and the first 20 km were very easy since there was a strong wind that helped me. I knew that once I got around the end of the lake this wind would blow me directly into the face; and so it was. The next 20 km were very hard, the road was very deserted and the wind was very strong, but at least the landscape was like I had hoped for. After half a day I reached another arm of the lake about halfway between Bariloche and Villa la Angostura and I decided to eat lunch. Shortly after that, I sat on my bike again. I switched to a lower gear and I heard a terrible noise. The changing mechanism got into the wheel and was ripped out of its place, parts flying everywhere. Shit, this was not good. 40 km to the next town in the middle of nowhere with a bike that can not be fixed. The road was very deserted but still there were cars driving by occasionally, so I didn’t worry too much. I just wait for a pick up truck to pass by and ask if they give me a ride back to Bariloche. I thought that people, especially here in Latin America would feel sorry for somebody with a broken bike so far away from the next town and help me, but I was very wrong. I tried for about an hour to stop a car, but nobody bothered. I didn’t like the thought of walking back 40 km, but since nobody stopped it was pretty much the only thing I could do. I was walking for about an hour when a couple from Spain catches up with me. They were traveling since one month by bike. They offered me help but weren’t able to do much. So we tried together if we could not stop a car. After some failed intents, the Spanish were very upset about the unfriendliness, finally a couple from Bariloche agreed to take me back. I had to share very few space with my broken bike and with a huge dog, but I didn’t care that much, I was just glad I didn’t have to spend New Years Eve walking in the middle of nowhere. They told me that probably all the cars that passed me were tourists, that people from Bariloche did help people with problems on the road. When I got back I was very tired and also a bit frustrated because I really wanted to do this trip by bike, but I didn’t have time anymore since I needed to get to a place where I could work again, so I spent New Years Eve in the hotel watching a movie.


<< Home