Friday, June 16, 2006


On my way to Peru I made a stop just short off the border in Copacabana on the Titicaca Lake. It’s a very touristy place. There I was told that I should go visit Isla del Sol. I spent the night in Sucre Residencial, a very cheap but still comfortable place. Then the next morning I took one of the boats leaving for the island. It’s about a 2 hour trip. First we visited another small island, Isla de la Luna with some Inca ruins. When we got to the shore on Isla del Sol, some travelers that took all their luggage with them didn’t like the sight. The town was up on the hill, maybe 200m straight up. Since I left my big bag in Copacabana I got there fairly quickly. A small boy brought me to Hostal los Lagos I think it was called. It was a little bit more expensive then on the mainland but it had an incredible view over the lake and the mountains on the other side. I left the Hostal to take a walk. It had been probably more then an hour but there where still people coming up the hill with their heavy back bags. The town is probably around 4000m over sea level and just walking up with my small bag made me breathe a lot. The walk was amazing; there are no cars or motors on the island. It felt like another time, donkeys are the only means for the locals to transport heavier items. The views over the lake are amazing; you can almost feel the spirit of the ancient Incas that used to live here. I liked it so much that I decided to stay another day. I started in the morning and walked to the other end of the island where you can see some Inca ruins. It’s about a 3 hours walk one way. On my way back I decided to leave the path and make my own way through the island crossing to a part where there are no paths. I climbed a couple of peaks and then arrived at the foot of another one. The sun was already pretty low but I wanted to go up this last one as well. Here there were no paths at all and it wasn’t an easy walk. I didn’t have much time on the top so I headed back down. It was equally hard as going up, no path and lots of plants and rocks. Finally I managed to reach the town just about when the sun went down. On the whole Island you can find mint, I like the smell, so I brought a whole bundle back to the hotel. I was really tired, I ate something and then went to bed. The next morning I took a boat back to Copacabana. I got my other bag and then boarded a bus to Puno in Peru.
Posted by Picasa