Friday, June 16, 2006

From Potosi I wanted to go straight to Uyuni but the next bus was for the night. So I stayed the day and took a tour into the mines. It’s really incredible and scary in what conditions these man and woman work. It’s basically all done by hand. I saw men carrying the stones out on their back; two men haul up stones all day long by playing motor for a simple lift. Everybody can use dynamite, without needing a special license. High voltage power lines without isolation for small trains carrying out the stones, sparks flying all over the place. I don’t want to know how many accidents and deaths they have there. The tunnels didn’t make the safest impression and there where holes and slippery climbs all the time. The indigenous people have shrines in the tunnels worshiping the devil, as I understood it out of a misunderstanding with the catholic teachings, where they say that god lives in heaven and the devil under ground. Since they are working in the territory of the devil they thought that they should ask him for protection and success. They offer coca leaves, alcohol and cigarettes.