
Just one quick note on the last entry, there was some confusion about the picture. What you see there is Santa Marta, not Bogota.
Since my time here was pretty much all about work and since work is a big part of this “lifestyle”, I write this paragraph about it, so people get an idea how this works and so they don’t think that all my time here is about traveling and having fun. As of now I am working 50% (21 hours/week) for the company that I was working before I started this. Everything that comes out of my work is digital data, so it can be transferred from where ever I have access to the Internet. A couple of times a week I connect via Internet and VPN (OpenVPN for all that like to know exactly) to the office in Switzerland to check mails and to see if there is any new work to be done. I download the newest release of the source code and once I am done implementing a feature or correcting a bug I upload the new source files. If there is anything that needs to be discussed then I call the office using Internet Telephony (Skype in particular). Thinking about it, it is really amazing to do work like this, I can do this only thanks to a very liberal and open employer (if any of you need a LIMS go to www.infotray.ch) and the development and wide availability of the Internet. Only 10 years ago, none of this would have been possible because of the lack of technology and infrastructure. Even now, sometimes all I have is a slow analog modem connection and I have to be very patient to complete my tasks. I think this is still the beginning of the “global office”. If you are always in the same location then you can get the infrastructure to work quite efficient and well, but if you are on the road, in a different place every time, I think it’s still pioneers work.But this is not all. Beside this paid work, I am working on my own Open Source project. I have to admit that so far I haven’t been able to do much work on it, only about 5 hours a week, this is not enough. I will have to find a solution for that, but I also want to avoid traveling this world without seeing anything of it, so I am not willing to increase the total amount of time that I spend working (which is about 25 – 30 hours/week). This seems right and leaves me with enough time to explore.


<< Home